The LCC's Geographic Information Services (LCC-GIS) provides the Legislature with timely, accurate spatial data (usually in the form of maps) and is the repository of statewide boundary information for legislative use. The Office was originally set up for 1990 redistricting, and continues to support legislative cartographic needs as well as prepare for 2010 Redistricting. The office maintains a map library of spatial databases, provided by the Census Bureau and several Minnesota State agencies, that can be integrated with many sources of information to produce maps and tables of pertinent information for legislators and legislative staff.
Mission of Geographic Information Services
1. Develop and maintain spatial databases.
The Census Bureau provides the LCC-GIS with TIGER line files that are processed and broken down into layer components. These layer components make up most of the spatial databases that are used for redistricting and map development. These layers may include Street Centerlines, Precincts, Legislative Districts, Census Blocks, Hydrography, or a host of other map files available through other GIS organizations. LCC-GIS tracks advancements in technology that will make this process more efficient and cost-effective.
2. Make spatial databases accessible for legislative purposes.
LCC-GIS produces maps and provides access to spatial data for legislative purposes as current technology allows
3. Provide the resources for the legislature to do redistricting every 10 years.
LCC-GIS provides the hardware, software and staff resources necessary for Redistricting after each decennial census.
4. Monitor the availability of spatial data potentially useful for legislative purposes.
LCC-GIS monitors the availability of new and updated data both from other units of government and the private sector.
5. Represent the legislative interests in the broader GIS community.
LCC-GIS participates in cooperative GIS efforts including the Governor's Council on Geographic Information and the Metro-GIS. Participation ensures that the needs of the legislative community are represented while creating and utilizing statewide geographic information.
6. Provide educational and outreach support for the legislative community.
LCC-GIS provides technical expertise to the legislative community regarding spatial technologies and their applications.
1. Census 2010 Redistricting Program
- Participate in Census Bureau data programs.
2. Support for Legislative Community
- Provide online web mapping applications
- Provide standard and customized map products
- Provide standard geo-spatial data products
- Administer LCC servers and network, and provide IT support
3. Support for the Office of the Secretary of State
- Provide assistance as needed for the preparation of redistricting
4. Support for the Legislative Commission on Minnesota Resources
- Assist in reviewing proposals regarding spatial technologies
- Develop online RFP process
- Develop and maintain online mapping application showing properties purchased using trust fund monies
- Provide map products
5. Maintain LCC-GIS Web Page
- Maintain and improve interactive map products
- Maintain publicly accessible datasets
- Provide technical assistance in the maintenance and development of all commissions web pages